Puttu is mostly prepared in a puttu maker and that gives the puttu its unique taste. But can you make it in pressure cooker and enjoy the same taste? This ultimate Keralan breakfast item is not only easy to prepare and delicious, but also is a healthy one. There are different types of puttu makers and you can definitely prepare a tasty puttu in it. But, if you do not have any puutu maker, still you can enjoy this delicious dish at home.
Like we prepared the sweet chatti pathiri, this recipe is also very simple to prepare and can be easily prepared by the beginners with little efforts. You can serve puttu with different things like banana, or tea, kids love to have it with the banana. The basic of puttu is made of coconut and hence, it can be combined and eaten with different items.
Puttu Recipe without Puttu Maker
- 2 Cups Puttu Rice Flour
- 2.5 Cups Shredded or Grated Coconut
- 1.5 Cups Water
- A Pinch of Salt
- Take a large bowl, add in the flour with salt and mix it
- Now, by sprinkling water little by little into it, make the
entire flour wet
- Then, add in 1.5 cups of grated coconut and mix the flour
- Now, again, add half a cup of water little by little and mix
the flour along with the coconut and knead it slowly. The texture here might be wet but drier and flour type
- Then, take the pressure cooker, add in some water, let it
steam and boil for sometime
- While the water comes to the boil, you can spread a layer of
coconut on the steamer basket, after which, you must spread a thick layer of flour coconut mixture over it
- After, that, again add a layer of grated or shredded coconut
over the previous layers. Now, you must press the steamer basket over to remove the access air in between the layers
- Once the water is boiled, take the steamer basket and keep
it into the cooker. Now, let it heat and steam for around 10-12 minutes or until the flour is soft and is completely cooked
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 171Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 0.8gCholesterol: 87mgSodium: 10mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 23gSugar: 100gProtein: 10g
After 10-12 minutes, you can remove it from the cooker, slice of the layers together and serve the puttu hot! You can serve it with fresh bananas or some sugar and honey or with some chickpeas curry. In some areas of Kerala, this dish is prepared with coconut gravy. So, it is on your disposal how you wish to prepare the dish. You can also try out mutta pathiri if you like to try out such savory dishes.