Mutta Pathiri is a traditional dish of pancake from the Malabar region of Kerala. It is one of the most popular food items in the muslim families of Kerala. It can be served at any time of the day to cherish its taste, but it is the best to serve in breakfast. In India, the dish is mostly made from coconut milk in an earthenware pan (or a non-stick pan).
It is mostly said that the Mutta Pathiri is authentically made in an earthenware pans and not in any non-stick pans. The earthenware pans use gives your pancake a very authentic look with beehive holes in it. Here, baking powder and baking soda is also used to give it a perfect look.
Mutta Pathiri Recipe
- 4 Cups Plain Flour
- 4 Cups Water
- 2 Tbsp Applesauce
- ½ Tsp Salt
- Take a Large bowl and add flour to it. Over the flour, pour
in the applesauce over it
- Now, take a beater, start beating the mixture while adding
some water to it. Continue beating and whisk until the batter completely gets smooth
- Now, add salt to taste once the batter is smooth
- Then, again start beating the batter and beat it until a
little foam is formed
- Now, add this mixture in small amounts in the earthen pan,
let it heat on a low flame and let it get quite hot
- Then, gently flip the side of the pancake and let it get
heated from both the sides.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 80Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 0.9gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 2mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 17gSugar: 3gProtein: 12g
Things to Remember while preparing the Mutta Pathiri:
- Take a very small bowl to pour in the pancake and you must increase the stove flame slowly as you bake each pancake.
- When you take out one pancake, lower the flame and keep it low until you pour and spread the next pancake mixture.
- After you spread the mixture over the earthen pan, higher the flame and when there are little holes formed over the pancake, lower the flame again.
It takes around 2-3 minutes to completely bake the Malabar pancake. Do not rush the process, just let it get heated properly and then flip and take it out. If you like to have a sweet pathiri, you can try out the sweet chatti pathiri recipe for a tasty result. You cannot use the Mutta pathiri’s earthenware pan for any other dishes. It must only be used for the mutta pathiri. Do not use oil in these earthenware pans as that might not allow the batter to cook perfectly. You must remember that the first few trials might go in vein while you try to prepare this dish but try it for a few times and you will get the most of it.